View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 30, 2012, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Bob P is from San Francisco. The email I have is not active.

Mr. Lopez wrote me to ask my opinion. Here is my reply:

I stayed out of the thread because a lot of other "Big Dogs" went with the MLBUs.

They're wrong, at least according to the video.

It seems obvious that Cain disengaged by stepping back of the pitcher's plate. When he threw away the ball, that's the classic example of: "One from the mound, two from the field."

My opinion: The crew missed it. They has been a lot of rationalizing and bombast. But where I've called, if I didn't send that runner to third, I would have to send the offensive coach to the showers.

You may quote me on this in your next post.

Paul replied he wouldn't quote me. So ... I've quoted myself.

Let me add this: Where I've called, on the jump spin the pitcher's pivot foot NEVER winds up behind the rubber. Generally, it's more toward the third-base side of the diamond. I'm talking about games played from PONY through NCAA D1 and MSBL games.

Someone wrote about balking this move if the pitcher DID NOT throw to first. If it's a jump spin, then BALK. If it's a step off the rubber (as the video shows), it's not a balk but a bluff.

Two bases, guys. Two bases, guys.

Oh, I called my first game in March of 1954. My most recent game was fall high school ball on Thursday, October 25.