View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 02, 2012, 05:50pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Equipment ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
9.5 SITUATION: A1 dribbles and comes to a stop after which he/she throws the ball against: (a) his/her own backboard; (b) the opponent’s backboard; or (c) an official and catches the ball after each. RULING: Legal in (a); a team’s own backboard is considered part of that team’s “equipment” and may be used. In (b) and (c), A1 has violated; throwing the ball against an opponent’s backboard or an official constitutes another dribble, provided A1 is first to touch the ball after it strikes the official or the board. (4-4-5; 4-15-1, 2; Fundamental 19)
Because it's equipment? It may be used? Be used to do what? Dribble again (not directly stated in the casebook play)? Even if it's definitely not considered to be a try by the official?

I would rather that the NFHS stated that in this situation any throw against one's own backboard is considered a try, in all circumstances, and thus the player can legally catch the ball, and legally start a new dribble.

Other than in this casebook play, where else is "equipment" considered to be relevant to an illegal dribble situation? If he threw the ball against a teammate's legal headband, or a teammate's legal wrist band, that had accidentally fallen onto the floor, could he then legally catch the ball, and legally start a new dribble?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Aug 02, 2012 at 06:04pm.