View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 07, 2012, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsonj72 View Post
I saw this situation 10 years ago in a state championship game in legion baseball and the communication between the umpires was HORIBLE. The batter popped up just off the infield grass and the infield fly was called so the batter out. Ball was not caught so the runners advanced and the ball was thrown to 2nd base. No tag was applied and the 2nd base ump(4 umpire system) called the runner out on the force play. Said runner gets up and is going back to the dugout thinking he is 2nd out when he is tagged and called out by the 3rd base umpire for the 3rd out and the game ends as it os nit eh bottom of the 11th inning and the team at bat was down 1 run. Because the umpires failed to communicate properly said team lost A CHANCE to tie the game with the next batter. Resulted in one of the longes and loudest rubahrbs I have ever heard at a baseball game. Losing team basically accused the umps of incompetence in failing to communicate and as a result we are being penalized because YOU(The umpires) screwed up. I was broadcasting this game and took me until the drive home to figure out the very very basics of what happened.
One runner getting called out twice? He must have been really, really out!

Seriously, though, FED rules explicitly allow the umpires to fix this, put everyone back, and continue the game. (10-2-3L)