Thread: Illegal Slide?
View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 12, 2012, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
The OP was clarified by this:

"As part of the play, F4 had come across the base toward F6 / third. R1 slid toward the fielder, not in a direct line to the base. If F4 had caught the ball, it was a textbook FPSR violation by R1, whether or not there was contact. Does the fact that F4 dropped / deflected the ball change this and is contact (or not) relevant?"

I believe the caseplay justifies calling a FPSR violation on this attempt.
Then you would be incorrect. The rule book does not require a slide directly into the base. It can reached by a hand or foot. The rule has already been cited.

There cannot be a FPSR without the fielder having the ball - it is on the ground near the umpire's "B" position. The runner is not interfering with a defender's ability to relay the ball in the OP. He is not altering the play as the fielder already did that. The runner does not have to be clairvoyant, especially after he is already on the ground anticipating a slide away from the fielder (who then messes up and crosses into his path).

Quote:
I agree with what you say about defensive error causing contact.
You originally wrote that it didn't matter. I am glad to see that you came around. Have a great day.