View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 08, 2012, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman View Post
I think I did a bad job of wording my orignal question. How about this....

Bases Loaded, bottom of the last inning, tie game. OBR rules. Batter hits a ground ball to 3B. Defense turns what appears to be a 5-4 double play. However, the batter and runner on third are very fast. The run scores and the batter tags first before the out is recorded at 2B.

My interp of 4.09b is that the game was over before the out at second. The runs scores and the game is over. If the same thing had happened in the first inning, no runs scores. Am I wrong?
Yes, you're wrong. The 3rd out was a force play, so no runs can score, same as any other inning. This is not a time play. Extra innings.

Speaking of extra innings (begin thread hijack), I had my first extras of the summer the other night. Home team was up 2-0 in the top of the last inning. 2 outs, R1, R2, and the batter hits a ball to short right, a clear single. Should have been maybe 1 run scored, and when the next batter grounded out, game over, right?

It was a clear single to everyone but F9. He dove for it, the ball hit the ground literally 15 feet away from him, bounced over him, and rolled to the wall. 2 runs in, BR to 3B, tie game, and (after the next batter grounded out and the home team did nothing in their half) we have extra innings.

To add insult to injury: F9 came up in the bottom of the inning. Before a 1-1 pitch, he raised his hand and stepped out of the box: but my partner did NOT grant time! Strike 2! He was steamed about that. When the next pitch nipped the outside corner, he threw his bat against the fence and ejected himself. Presumably not his best inning of baseball.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread, with apologies for the hijack and thanks for the venting.