View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 12, 2012, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
The bolded part of your statement is most definitely incorrect.
I think (actually I hope) he is mistaking the following play for the OP!

9.9.1 SITUATION D:

Team A is awarded a throw-in near the division line. A1's throw-in is deflected by B1; A2 jumps from Team A's frontcourt, catches the ball in the air and lands in the backcourt.

RULING: Backcourt violation on Team A. The throw-in ends when it is legally touched by B1. A2 gains player and team control in the air after having left the floor from Team A's frontcourt, therefore having frontcourt status. As soon as A2 lands in the backcourt, he/she has committed a backcourt violation. The exception granted during a throw-in ends when the throw-in ends and is only for the player making the initial touch on the ball. (9-9-3)

If the defense tips the throw-in pass in the f/c then yes, the throw-in has ended & the ball has f/c status & the exception is off.

If the offense tips the throw-in pass, the throw-in has ended & even though t/c exists there is no player control yet & the exception is on.

9-9-3

During a jump ball, throw-in or while on defense, a player may legally jump from his/her frontcourt, secure control of the ball with both feet off the floor and return to the floor with one or both feet in the backcourt. The player may make a normal landing and it makes no difference whether the first foot down is in the frontcourt or backcourt.

Last edited by tref; Thu Apr 12, 2012 at 04:38pm.