View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 01, 2012, 01:47pm
This IS My Social Life

Yeah But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
B) Not uncommon, depending on where the shot is taken. FT extended on L's side, both officials need to see this . . .
Why I'm somewhat sensitive to this topic, though Snaq's point might be different, largely due to two different partners I had this year.
One, as lead, would signal "Two" on every -- every! not just in what some might call the grey area where the two PCA's intersect -- shot around the arc that he, from his position on the endline, determined was not a three. Every. That was the first half. In spite of a tactful halftime chat about primary coverage area around the arc, the second half featured the same.
The other -- and this was in a post-season state tournament first-round game -- a partner in pre-game was surprized to learn that C didn't mirror T's three-point attempt, and vice-versa. "But I always do that." After this particular pregame, he didn't anymore. At least for that game.
Worked hard this year so that crews avoided what I call "The Fuzzy 3/5", i.e., when two arms go in the air on 3 point attempts and initiating 5 second counts. Not knowing when to turn off-ball results in a Fuzzy 3/5 where awareness of PCA boundaries are vague, unclear, not known, ignored, or otherwise "fuzzy," and off-ball coverage suffers. This condition seems indicative of ball-watching instead of surveilling PCA for off-ball activity.
My take on it.