View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 17, 2012, 03:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
Maybe that's what he meant, but that's not the impression I got when I heard it. I wish APG had access to more video...

While I understand sometimes saying something to a player, at that level they better know a basic rule like this on their own. Or, it's on their coaching staff for not properly preparing them. But if the player does it that obviously, it should be called. Or, the officials will not advance to the next round.
I have no problem saying something to a player - I do it in H.S. and college - to keep them from going inside the three-point arc too early if they're not on the lane. It's no different than talking kids out of the lane for three seconds and a number of my assignors over the years have encouraged it.

That being said, if the kid has a brain lock and goes in - especially after I tell them "remember, let it hit" - that's on them.

And yes, I know it doesn't have to hit anything for them to go inside the three-point arc but if they're waiting for the ball to hit something and it doesn't they're not at a disadvantage since that's a violation on the shooter.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)