Thread: ND vs Temple
View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 17, 2012, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
The problem is inconsistency. Somebody was complaining in another thread yesterday, I think, about this exact violation not being called. If that is the case with this call, (it's simply not called at this level) like the Austin Rivers traveling videos we recently watched, and now it is called in an extreme situation such as this, I'm with Barkley, that sucks.

Has anyone by any chance reviewed more of the video of this game? Did this guy step in on other free throws without a call?
I believe both violations (yesterday and tonight) were the result of players coming in from outside the 3-point arc, not simply toe-touching within the lane. In the Syracuse game yesterday, the announcers initially focused on players in the lane from a bird's-eye view and how "close" it was, but it wasn't until after the game we saw the actual violation was the player coming in from outside the arc and almost to the block by the time the ball hit the rim. I believe it was the same essential call tonight.

What sucks is the player let his "NBA instincts" take over at that point in the game and he forgot the rule. What also sucks is letting NBA announcers use their NBA training to bash the NCAA officials without really knowing what they're talking about.

(Used with permission.)