View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 22, 2012, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Regardless of ruleset, asking me what I saw is never an appeal. Even asking me if she missed it (removing 'you see her' replacing with she) is a request for information. Neither is going to get a real response from me. "Blue, she missed the plate" is a minimum. I'd rather, "Blue, we'd like to appeal that number 14 missed the plate."
To me, it is all the same. After all, even if the the last manner is that offered, the umpire still has to ask him/herself, "did I see her miss the plate/base?"

There are enough games going on without me pretending to be Alex Trebeck. The coach wouldn't ask the question if s/he wasn't making an appeal.

Coach: Did you see her miss the plate?
Umpire: I did
Coach: Okay, just checking. I'll go back to the dugout now. Thanks.

I understand what you are saying, but why cause such consternation if you know damn well what the coach is asking? If you refuse to answer the coach, s/he is just going to continue asking the same question until you repond and refusing to do so is only going to create more of an issue. I just don't think it is worth the trouble.