View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 08:51am
This IS My Social Life

L in Three-Person "Reaching Across the Lane"???

More and more, while both doing games and observing/critiquing and taking video of crews, I'm noticing that the L in three-man has the frequent tendency to "reach across the lane" to call illegal contact fouls on the players defending shooters who come into the lane opposite L's area.

I can understand the good look the L gets on block/charge calls, since, though the drive may have originated in C's area, L is likely to have had the best view of a defender setting up in LGP.

However, I'm not convinced L has the best look at illegal contact fouls when involving a shooter advancing toward and encountering a defender in the other side of the lane. Yet it's become common for L to take this call, almost as if L is importing two-person coverage area principles into three-person.

The accuracy of the calls/no calls that are occurring when the L is the one calling "across the lane" instead of C on these sorts of plays is what I am calling into question.

Do you sense the same tendency? Is this a valid concern? Do you pregame this situation? Should I take up volleyball instead?

Your seasoned comments and insights are appreciated.
(I'm waiting to ingest your feedback before including it on the agenda of an upcoming rules meeting)

Last edited by Freddy; Sun Jan 29, 2012 at 08:54am.