View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 14, 2012, 11:34am
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref3808 View Post
Boys JV game yesterday played on a less than regulation size court. Fairly big bodies, tight space. Early in the game A1 attempts to draw a charge but there's little if any contact before he goes to the floor. A bit later A2 does the same. At halftime I have a brief conversation with the coach about his players flopping and he's very dismissive. "I don't know what you're talking about". I thought I'd give him the chance to clean it up. It was obvious to me that they were coached to go down and try to draw a charge. Also talked to my partner about it so he knew the situation.

Second half, about two min in, A1 goes to the floor again on no contact to try and draw the call. I whistle the T. Coach is clearly displeased, but I'd seen enough.

Should I have tried to have that conversation with the coach or just applied the rule on the first flop? Have you warned first for this or gone right to the T?

Did I handle it well or should I have done something differently?
While awaiting the responses which will surely be forthcoming, you might want to do a forum search on the topic. There was some good, healthy discussion on this exact topic several times over the past three or four years which helped me understand this situation more fully.
That said, let the floodgates of insights be opened . . .