View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 10, 2012, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Giving the coach the correct rule is one thing but telling him that your partner was wrong is entirely different.

I like the way you handled your situation because you're giving your partner the benefit of the doubt. If we are 100% sure, we should go in and get it right with our partner before the game is resumed. Telling a coach your partner was wrong doesn't mollify the situation, it exacerbates it.
+1

If we think our partner has misapplied a rule and a brief conversation can correct it then I think we should try to do that.

If, however, in the case of the OP we think our partner misapplied a rule but let it go b/c we arent sure of exactly what they called then I don't think it's a good idea to tell the coach your partner was wrong. That opens up a can of worms that I have seen get REALLY ugly. it undermines your partner, undermines you as a crew, and gives the coach ammo for the rest of the game and beyond.

You can let the coach know that he has a correct interpretation of the rule and let him know you will discuss it with your partner at half time or after the game. In the case of the OP, I'm not going to have a conversation with the Coach about what he and my partner discussed or my partner's interp of the rule right then and there. There is too much that could get lost in translation.

I think you either try to correct it when it happens or live with call, discuss it in the lockerroom, and give the official who misapplied the rule the opportunity to man up and tell the coach he kicked it.