Thread: Flopping
View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 12:40pm
This IS My Social Life

Not Wanting to Stir the Pot, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Before ruling that a flop is a T, ask the senior trainer how many times he's ruled that way.
And how would his response help to make a decision on whether to give out a technical foul for a "flop"?

I think I know what you mean--that discretion is called for before dishing out a technical foul for "faking being fouled." No quarrel with that. I've only called it once that I can remember. And yes, it was merited.

A problem exists, however, if the basis for that discretion, knowledge of the rule, is lacking. Or if whether or not to make a call is dependent upon how often other officials say they've made that call. That's not any sort of basis from which to exercise judgment.

The number of times a senior trainer has or has not called something doesn't serve as much of a basis for when "faking being fouled" really should be called.

Not intending to be a butt-head about it, please don't misunderstand. I'm just a soul whose intentions are good...

Alternative opinions welcome...

Last edited by Freddy; Mon Dec 05, 2011 at 12:46pm.