View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 18, 2011, 03:14pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Very true, also more than likely most table personnel do not know about the rule book.

I've noticed over the past couple of years, that I'm the only table personnel that has reference materials present at the table.

One of the recommendations is that the table personnel read http://www.nfhs.org/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=5180 "Instructions to & duties of scorer & timer for basketball games", yet how many actually do read it?

Concerning shot clock operations, there are similar documents available. However the best way to learn is by doing.
I worked a college game once where the shot clock operator was replaced b/c of incompetence. There are some nuances to running the shot clock that require a higher level of concentration than the regular game clock.

Based on what I've seen around here I think we'd have quite a few venues where we would have problems every game. Then add on top of that most of the HS officials in my area aren't really in to getting better, studying rules, or working in the off-season; I could see a big mess around here.