Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 17, 2011, 06:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Grandfather Shot Clocks ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Their goal is to keep schools from feeling pressure to invest in technology.
Yeah. Like shot clocks.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Oct 18, 2011, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

Smile I Pads For Refs.

I Pad For Refs, instant access to rules they cannot recall.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2011, 11:28am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Yeah. Like shot clocks.
I think the reality is they are trying to avoid constant mistakes that you see on many levels in college with the shot clock. I do not see that as a technology issue rather than an application issue.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 18, 2011, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I think the reality is they are trying to avoid constant mistakes that you see on many levels in college with the shot clock. I do not see that as a technology issue rather than an application issue.

Peace
It is not a technology issue or an application issue, it is $$$$ issue.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2011, 12:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Probably, but if they allowed the shot clock to be used, and they could still allow it to be used by state adoption, there would be numerous situations of misapplication and at this time no replay to correct those mistakes as we possibly have at the college levels.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 18, 2011, 12:12pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
That's My Story, and I'm Sticking to it.......

Quote:
This is what I've heard too.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2011, 12:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
This is what I've heard too.
I do not think the two things have to be mutually exclusive.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 18, 2011, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I do not think the two things have to be mutually exclusive.

Peace
I think it's a combination of three things:

1) $$$$
2) Timing errors / training
3) Since (most) schools can't recruit, if they feel the best chance to win is to slow the game down, they should be allowed to do so. "Entertainment" is not the issue it is in NCAA / pro.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2011, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I think it's a combination of three things:

1) $$$$
2) Timing errors / training
3) Since (most) schools can't recruit, if they feel the best chance to win is to slow the game down, they should be allowed to do so. "Entertainment" is not the issue it is in NCAA / pro.
Back in April at the Basketball Rules Committee, they did revisit the idea of adding the adoption of the shot clock.

Struckhoff said the committee again discussed requiring the use of a shot clock in high school basketball, as it has done for several years, but the committee did not approve the proposal.

“Even though there’s growing interest in using a shot clock, the general sense from the committee is that the time isn’t right,” Struckhoff said. “Given the current economic climate, it would be difficult for schools to comply with a rule requiring purchasing new equipment and hiring additional table personnel.”

At last check there are 8 states that have adopted the shot clock. Those eight states are: California, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, North Dakota, South Dakota, Rhode Island and Washington.

Read more: What states have a shot clock in high school basketball
Old Tue Oct 18, 2011, 02:08pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Probably, but if they allowed the shot clock to be used, and they could still allow it to be used by state adoption, there would be numerous situations of misapplication and at this time no replay to correct those mistakes as we possibly have at the college levels.

Peace
Agree completely. Definitely would be a competency issue, for tables and officials. I know 90% of the HS officials in my area would screw it up regularly.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2011, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Agree completely. Definitely would be a competency issue, for tables and officials. I know 90% of the HS officials in my area would screw it up regularly.
Concerning competency of table operations, if the guidelines in Appendix 4 of the Officials Manual would be followed, there would be less chance of errors happening.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2011, 02:40pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Concerning competency of table operations, if the guidelines in Appendix 4 of the Officials Manual would be followed, there would be less chance of errors happening.
Most HS table personnel don't know there is even such thing as an Official's Manual.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2011, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Most HS table personnel don't know there is even such thing as an Official's Manual.
Very true, also more than likely most table personnel do not know about the rule book.

I've noticed over the past couple of years, that I'm the only table personnel that has reference materials present at the table.

One of the recommendations is that the table personnel read http://www.nfhs.org/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=5180 "Instructions to & duties of scorer & timer for basketball games", yet how many actually do read it?

Concerning shot clock operations, there are similar documents available. However the best way to learn is by doing.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2011, 03:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
If they are screwing the shot clock up in college ball (mostly lower level college I am talking bout), you really think some snot nosed kid is going to get this right at the HS level? And there are a lot of directives or literature to make sure those rules are followed and they are often not followed by many that run that clock. I think HS would be a nightmare.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 18, 2011, 03:14pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Very true, also more than likely most table personnel do not know about the rule book.

I've noticed over the past couple of years, that I'm the only table personnel that has reference materials present at the table.

One of the recommendations is that the table personnel read http://www.nfhs.org/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=5180 "Instructions to & duties of scorer & timer for basketball games", yet how many actually do read it?

Concerning shot clock operations, there are similar documents available. However the best way to learn is by doing.
I worked a college game once where the shot clock operator was replaced b/c of incompetence. There are some nuances to running the shot clock that require a higher level of concentration than the regular game clock.

Based on what I've seen around here I think we'd have quite a few venues where we would have problems every game. Then add on top of that most of the HS officials in my area aren't really in to getting better, studying rules, or working in the off-season; I could see a big mess around here.