View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 27, 2011, 06:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBull View Post
"I can't really see what "scrambling back to a (forced) bag has to do with it."

"B is the correct answer as R1 acquired 2B when he slid past it, therefore removing the force at 2B. It can't be an appeal for a missed base as the base was not tagged; F6 tagged R1 not the base. Since R1 acquired 2B and R3 scored before the third out was made, the run counts. "

It is called continuous action by J/R. Most umpires understand this situation very well.
I think you might be referring to J/R's concept of 'unrelaxed action'.

Although many umpires embrace the concept of unrelaxed action, from what I understand at least one of the pro schools does not. They teach that a runner can be appealed for a missed base even when he's scrambling back to it, using the strict language of 7.10(b) as justification.

I was merely trying to explain to the obtuse "Larry" what the difference was between appealing a runner scrambling back to a base and appealing a runner with a "clean miss" advancing to the next base. I agree that J/R had already explained that.

For my part, I like the idea of unrelaxed action: IMO, a missed base appeal should occur after playing action has ended, not when a runner is 4 feet away and scrambling to get to the "missed" base. I admit that the rules provide scant support for this opinion: it just seems to me to be better baseball.

In actual play, I probably just wouldn't "hear" an appeal during unrelaxed action.