Thread: Picking battles
View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 21, 2011, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
imho...your judgement needs to improve on which battles to pick....this is not one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
. . . said the opposing coach whose player missed the free throw.
And that opposing coach's opinion means exactly what? And has that player never missed a FT in a silent gym?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post

BTW, I'm still trying to settle the question: if the disconcertion is committed by bench personnel such that it merits a call, must the penalty be a T for unsporting conduct, or would the penalty be a substitute free throw as per 9-1-3c whereby "No opponent" includes bench personnel as well as players on the floor?

I've squeezed by rulebook and casebook like a sponge, and I can't find anything that would preclude calling a violation on the bench personnel in this instance. The only thing opposing that is the apparent sentiment that a violation cannot ever be called on a non-player(s) which I also cannot find.

Any further definitive conclusions to share beyond what was given in the previously hijacked thread?
Disconcertion, whether by a player or by any member of the team, is a violation. I suppose that some specific actions could be deemed unsportsmanlike and penalized accordingly, possibly on top of also calling disconcertion in extreme cases but basic disconcertion by bench personnel is not a T.

That said, the threshold for what I'd consider disconcertion is much higher for bench personnel than for players along the lane or near the FT shooter. Their ability to effectively distract the shooter from 25-75' away is pretty limited.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Jun 21, 2011 at 03:12pm.