View Single Post
Old Fri May 13, 2011, 06:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
DG,

The only problem I have with 10-2-3g is because 4-4-1 enumerates the FED defined conditions for a forfeit - and no adult coaches ain't one of 'em.

So, forfeits ARE covered in the rules, but no available adult coaches ISN'T, so 10-2-3g has definitely got your back there.

If that's the practice in your area, I think that's exactly what you should do.

I have no idea what the "custom and practice" is around here. Generally, it seems that each conference establishes it's own "game-ending procedures" and the umpire determines whether the game continues or is halted. Whether it is a win/loss, forfeit, or suspended is not my concern.

There is no place I know of that I can go "look up" the IHSA position on any of the NFHS "by state adoption" rules, but everyone seems to agree on what they are. Mildly frustrating to me.

JM
I just saw this and did some digging. Here is what I was told:

In Illinois, head coaches and assistant coaches, must be (1) faculty members who have a valid teaching certificate, (2) any non-faculty member who has a valid teaching certificate, or (3) any non-certified person older than 19 year who has completed a coach training education program as approved by the IHSA (ex. ASEP). If the head coach and all assistant coaches are ejected (or otherwise not present) any adult who is present and is a certified faculty member of that school and agrees to take on the responsibility of the welfare of all players may serve in the place of the ejected coach(es). Parents of players (who do not fall within the previously stated criteria) cannot assume that responsibility of acting as the coach, in which case the game must be forfeited. Suspend it and the conference will perform the penalty, if they have not adopted something else.

You will not find that information in the rule book. It this is located somewhere in the depths of the IHSA bylaws which you can find on the IHSA website.

The solution to this would be to restrict the HC or AC to the dugout for the remainder of the game. Many underlevel contests only have one coach, so this comes into play more often. Restricting coaches is far more prevalent at that level. I believe that has already been stated but it is offered in case a member chooses not to backread.