Old Wed Mar 23, 2011, 02:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
NCAA admits to error in Syracuse loss

NewsCore

Updated Mar 22, 2011 6:22 PM ET
SYRACUSE, N.Y.

The NCAA confirmed Tuesday that a crucial end-of-game backcourt violation was incorrectly whistled against Syracuse during the team's season-ending NCAA Tournament loss Sunday to Marquette.

The score was tied at 59 with 51 seconds remaining and the Orange were inbounding the ball in the frontcourt after a stoppage. Dion Waiters threw the ball in to guard Scoop Jardine, who jumped to catch it and landed with part of his foot touching the halfcourt line.
"The Syracuse player made a legal play and no violation should have been called," NCAA officials coordinator John Adams told Syracuse.com.
According to the NCAA rulebook, "After a jump ball or during a throw-in, the player in his/her frontcourt, who makes the initial touch on the ball while both feet are off the playing court, may be the first to secure control of the ball and land with one or both feet in the backcourt. It makes no difference if the first foot down was in the front court or back court."
After the call, Marquette took possession and guard Darius Johnson-Odom made a decisive three-pointer to give the Golden Eagles a 62-59 lead, en route to a 66-62 win. Marquette advanced to face North Carolina in the Sweet 16 Friday night.

The blown call is the latest in a string of controversial officiating decisions that occurred over the weekend in the NCAA Tournament.
On Sunday, a questionable five-second violation cost Texas in the waning seconds of its loss to Arizona. Replays showed that Texas guard Cory Joseph was not given a full five seconds by the official before his attempt to call timeout was denied.
In the final moments of North Carolina's win over Washington Sunday, replays showed that the Huskies should have been given another second on the clock to try a last-second shot in an 86-83 loss. The officials opted not to review when the ball touched out of bounds on the preceding shot, leaving Washington with 0.5 seconds for a final desperation play.
==============================
Of course, we agree that he traveled.
I've officiated various sports for 22 years and coached various youth sports for 17 years.

What I always told my players was that blown calls DO NOT LOSE games, poor execution loses games.

The refs didn't shoot the ball for us, commit our turnovers, commit our fouls, miss our free throws or let the other team score.

We may disagree with the final call or a couple of calls during the game but we still had 31:59 to score another basket, make another free throw or stop the other team from scoring. To blame the officials is a cop out in my opinion.