View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
To get into the frontcourt, you have to cross the extra line closest to your basket (not the center line), and then to have an over and back violation, you have to cross the line farthest from your basket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFussRef View Post
10sec count till offense crosses the division line nearest their FC endline, then no BC violation unless they cross back over the division line farthest from their FC endline.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Typically, check with the home team, though, and make sure everyone (coaches) is on the same page.
Which line is to be used for the purposes of the 10 second count is not specified in the book and I could see arguments for using any of the three.

However, I'd be inclined to use one line for each team for all purposes...the one farthest from their basket.

The main purpose of the 10 second count is to prevent a team from using the space of the entire court for more than 10 seconds, not that they have to move it forward a certain distance. Once they've got it past the line farthest from their basket, they'd be in the space normally permitted.

Whatever you choose, COMMUNICATE it.

Last time I had this situation, it was when two teams both had facilities problems and were using another gym that they could get....one unfamiliar to either. Well before tipoff, we informed the coaches and suggested they instruct their players.

Just before tip-off, I took a moment to address the small crowd to avoid the inevitable screaming for over-and-back...no need getting them all worked up over an unusual situation. It still happened with a few late arrivals. Usually, the fans near them clued them in. In a couple of cases, I informed them during a timeout/intermissions. Once everyone knew the situation, there was no issue.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Mon Feb 28, 2011 at 05:46pm.