View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
I guess I'm confused then. 7-3-5a says:

A batter shall not interfere with the catcher's fielding or throwing by leaning over home plate.

If the pitcher has to go through the batter to deliver a pitch doesn't that interfere with it (i.e, if the catcher can't field the pitch, isn't that interference)?

Also, this is 12U not MLB. I'm not comfortable instructing a pitcher to make brush back pitches (or purpose pitches). While control is better at 12 it's not that great yet, even at travel ball.

Different/follow-on question - If a batter is struck by a ball while leaning over the plate is that a hit-by-pitch or strike? Seems to me the responsibility for the contact is on the batter in that case, but now I'm not sure.
First question: No, the catcher doesn't field the pitch, he just catches it. Fielders field batted balls. By rule there is no batter interference with the pitch, and the only rules governing the batter's position concern his feet and the batter's box.

Of course the batter leaning in hinders your pitcher. That's why he's doing it. That doesn't mean it's illegal, which everyone is telling you.

Second question: It's a strike. Because the pitch hit the batter, the ball is dead, however, so runners may not advance.

The fact that it's a strike is the reason why coaches teach their pitchers to pitch inside. Batters who lean in can't hit that pitch, and it if hits them it's still a strike.