View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 28, 2010, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
This is the one timing violation that's typically not called at 10 seconds exactly.
1. I have a very slow count on FTs.
2. I have a very slow count on FTs.
3. If I get to 10 and the shooter is about to shoot, I'm not blowing.
4. If I get to 11 and shooter is about to shoot, I'm not blowing.
5. I have a very slow count on FTs. (I've never gone past 8)
6. If I've gotten to 15 and the shooter is just standing there, I'll think about blowing the whistle.

Seriously, I like the call in the video, as Howard is just standing there; not even close to shooting when the whistle blows.
Agreed on all accounts.

Apparently the NBA League office had warned Howard and the Magic that he was taking too long on free throws and that officials had been instructed to call it. In the video Howard already had the ball at :02 and the violation is called at :16 and he does not appear to even being close to starting his shooting motion.

In over 15 years of playing, coaching, and officiating, and watching MANY, MANY games I had NEVER seen this called until working an AAU game this summer. My partner called it and I didnt even see it because I was tying my shoe. He said the kid stepped away from the line with the ball. I was laughing saying I had never seen that actually called and that I was glad he was taking his time so that I could get myself together. It seemed kind of quick but neither the coach or player really said anything.