Thread: backboard
View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 23, 2010, 07:05am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo View Post
Is this the same for NFHS? I had this play in a varsity boys high school game. Player attempted a pass to a player who was cutting - the ball was a bit high and hit the backboard, the passer quickly reacted, caught off the board and then made a dribble a scored.

This was a head scratcher to me. I was working with two college officials and they had nothing.
As cited in NFHS case book play 4.15.Sit.C(c), it's a legal play as long as you rule that it's a try. And unless you can read minds, the accepted call by all officials...oh....forever.... has been to always rule that it was an attempted try. That's why your college official partners had nothing on the play. No normal, sane official would rule it as being a pass when there is even the tiniest doubt that it might have been a try. And as I said, unless you can read minds there HAS to be that little bit of doubt there.

And if BillyMac starts up on this forum about this particular call, I will personally travel to Connecticut and remove his gonads with a dull butter knife, such knife having been supplied by BktBallRef. You've been warned, Billy.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Tue Nov 23, 2010 at 07:07am.