Thread: Please Help ...
View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 10, 2010, 01:54pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
If he is in uniform and sitting with or warming up with the team, he is bench personnel.
Yup, but that doesn't make him a player or a team member by rule. And the strict language of rule 10-3-3 applies ONLY to players and team members. NFHS rule 4-34-4 says "A team member is a member of bench personnel who is in uniform and is eligible to become a player. You are eligible to become a player when your name is added to the team member list. If the head coach doesn't put someone's name on the team member list, that someone is NOT eligible to become a player, even though that someone may be bench personnel in uniform sitting on the bench.

There is nothing in the rules that I know of that states that a coach can't have bench personnel other than his players or team members dressed in uniforms and sitting on the bench if the names of those bench personnel are NOT put on the team member list. And there is also nothing in the rules that I know of that won't allow bench personnel to warmup with their team. If you can find a citation that makes any of that illegal, please let me know.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Tue Aug 10, 2010 at 02:15pm.