View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 21, 2010, 06:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK47 View Post
yes JJ, that is BU's call.

In a normal rotation, R1 on second & R2 on first, less than two outs, the rotation is: fly ball to the outfield in the "V" PU goes up to third for the tag up of R1 while BU watches for catch and R2.

In your situation, a fly ball to F9 going towards the line, PU should yell out to BU "I've got the line". That tells BU that rotation is OFF and he has both tag ups. If it was F9 going towards center then BU has the catch and rotation is still on.
By reversing the runners, you've screwed this up. R2 means 'runner on 2B' (except in the idiotic FED notation that nobody else uses or should use). When JM says BU has the retouch for R2, that's what he means.

When I pregame this situation with my partner, we always give BU the tag by R2. Whether the ball is in the 'V' or to F9 moving toward the line, it makes more sense for PU to take R1's tag (if any).

The only issues are: (a) if PU is on the line for catch/no catch by F9, then he won't be at 3B for a play there on R2; and (b) if PU is on the other line for catch/no catch by F7, then he won't be able to see R1 tag.

Still, I like this mechanic better here. I agree that communication is essential to getting everything covered, but that's true in general and not unique to this situation.