View Single Post
Old Sat May 29, 2010, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK47 View Post
hum, thats actually kind of funny about the batters box. I had a HS game a few years ago where the batter had one foot completely outside the box, smacked a good base hit but once he reached first and all playing stopped I called him out. The OC was pissed but I explained why I called him out. After that I had talked to some other experienced Ump's and they told me how to use common sense and do whats called as "Preventative Umpiring". Since then if I saw something like that I would casually have the batter get both feet in.
You made 2 mistakes here:

1. If you saw the batter set up with a foot entirely outside the box, you must call time and fix it. That's completely on you.

2. You called the batter out. For what? Are you CERTAIN that his foot was touching the ground COMPLETELY outside the box (not touching any of the line) at the MOMENT he struck the ball? Maybe he lifted his foot a little when he hit the ball?

If you were watching his feet then you weren't watching the pitch. If you're doing your job (as either PU or BU) you cannot see this infraction, except maybe where the batter gets a running start at a bunt.

Having a foot out of the box during the pitch is not illegal. Having a foot out of the box after hitting the ball is not illegal. No umpire (in 2 umpire mechanics) can see the infraction here. Hence the importance of getting the batter set up correctly in the box.