Thread: Duke/Baylor
View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 28, 2010, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
The T call was a good call. The first Duke player (with the ball) was simply trying to get out of being physically harassed. The second player, was trying to get him out of there -- neither committed a foul of any kind. The Baylor thug (and I'm a Baylor supporter in general, but not of their basketball programs) came in and for no reason pushed the second Duke player who was holding the first.

I said immediately it was a T and wondered if they were going to call it. Had it been the first Baylor player (actually there were 2 guarding, so pick one) who was either trying to foul or trying to steal, assuming he was contacted unintentionally by the Duke player with the ball, that makes a simple, "get out of my space" subtle push, I *might* let that go. But I don't let a player out of the play come in and start trouble. THAT is how fights happen. Usually, the two guys tangled up quickly forgive and forget. There are exceptions, of course, but its almost always the 3rd or 4th guy coming in that escalate things, and that HAS to be penalized.
I agree with your assessment. I agree with Acy getting a T on the play. He absolutely came in and unnecessarily started trouble.
I only wonder if Thornley stepped on his partner's toes there as his partner was between Acy and Smith.

In the end it doesn't seem to matter as the right call was made, but I think that I would have consulted with my partner before pulling the trigger.