View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Offerman threw a punch, though, so whether it landed or not is really not important.
Agreed, obviously. (Thus my use of the word unforgivable)

Quote:
Originally Posted by batboy22 View Post
Every league around the world needs to ban him from any form of participation.
Touché!

Couldn't be better stated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
I am in full agreement with all however this is NOT how you diffuse a situation, by locking you arms together and trying to get into a butting contest with the manager.

NOT HANDLED WELL. He took a bad situation and made it worse.

No, it does not justify the HC's action but it is a perfect example on how NOT to handle a situation, way too aggressive.
Absolutely!! This guy caused this circus. A player or a coach or a manager must have his fire put out, not fueled by the umpire. Horrible job. H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E.

Again, of course, Offerman's [or anyone's] throwing of a punch at an umpire is unforgivable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
If a player, coach, or fan takes a swipe at me and even TOUCHES me, I'm going down. And I'm staying down until the ambulance arrives. He will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. There's no place is sports for assaulting officials, and going down certainly magnifies how serious the situation is.

JJ
I would never go down in any situation that even resembled a brawl.

EVER!

The worst thing you could possibly do is go to the ground. You know the term, getting the $hit kicked out of you? That's how you get it done to you, by going down. You do everything humanly possible to stay up and move. Everything. Watch Ali again sometime, or Sugar Ray Leonard. The main focus is to make 'em miss and move away.

It's more important to avoid cracked ribs or a shattered jaw or a skull fracture than to exaggerate the impact of a minor blow so that the eventual punishment to your attacker is worse. That's a horrible instinct. Get over that fast.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Sun Jan 17, 2010 at 06:31pm.