View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
I think it's too easy to say "I would have T'd earlier". In sub-varsity games - especially when one team is heavily overmatched, some of us do sway the advantage/disadvantage line pretty far to one side or another. That can get us into a situation like the OP. I think you gave as much leeway as you could and ultimately the coach gave you no choice. Did it help the game? Probably not, but sometimes you just have to take care of business. I'm not sure a T at any time in that kind of a game helps the game, but sometimes they just give you no other choice.
I agree that some of us do sway the advantage/disadvantage line in games like these - and shouldn't. But that said, if a T shuts him up - or stops his whining it helps the game. Even better if he uses his time to actually coach or inspire his players. When opponent is beating you up, it's easy for players to get down on themselves and even a comment like, "nice pass" can help. Bit@%ing at the officials isn't going to help anything and will allow players think that it is ok to do. Wrong message - even if officials were overcompensating.