View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 23, 2009, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanja View Post
That would be me. The posting is an excerpt form an earlier posting on this forum that included the entire article. In the earlier post, I called on the wisdom of the forum to help me get it right. But better late than never. Please specify your objections.
  • When a 3 second count is reached
    • Find the ball. If it is leaving or has left a players hand on a
      try -- no team control, no 3 seconds.
    • Check for movement in the restricted area. If a player starts to move to exit the restricted area, dribble or try for goal -- suspend.
  • Be Patient. Be sure. Barely touching the lane boundary is not touching.
    3 seconds is not more than 3 seconds.
I've put the language to which I object in red. Here's why:

1. If a teammate still has the ball touching his hand when you locate it AFTER having reached a mental count of three on a player inside the lane, then this is team team control and the official should by rule penalize the violation. The ball must have left the shooter's hand to end team control.

2. There is no exception made for a player exiting the lane or moving to leave the FT lane. If he is in that area for more than three seconds, that's a violation by the book, plain and simple. He doesn't get a suspended count for dribbling in the lane either. The only correct exception which you list is a player moving to immediately try for goal.

3. Barely touching the lane, or even touching it with only one foot, IS touching the lane and deserves to be penalized under the letter of the rule as well as the spirit and intent of the rule. The NFHS stated this a couple of years ago.

Everything which you wrote in red is very poor teaching advice as it runs counter to the specifics of the rules book and the desire of the NFHS rules committee. The very reason that 3-seconds is an NFHS POE this season is because people fail to (or are unwilling to) call this properly and make all sorts of excuses to not penalize for it and come up with unfounded guidelines to go by instead of following the actual text of the rule. This results in the offense gaining an unfair advantage.