View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 04, 2009, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie View Post
Well........... Guess thats a good thing for the NSA. At lease we can get multiple outs for LBR violation on the same play. Apparently, other codes cannot.
I don't know NSA; have never called an NSA game. With that caveat, the idea that the ball is live after a look back violation in NSA got me interested, so I looked up the rule book and the case book.

The rule book does not state that the ball is dead in the look back rule (8-8-x); it doesn't state that it is live, either. Likewise, the look back rule is not mentioned in the "dead ball" rule (9-1), but neither is it mentioned in the "ball in play" rule (9-2).

HOWEVER, it is mentioned in the Case Book, in the two case plays under the 8.8x cases where an out is recorded, the ruling says the ball is dead. It also says only one out may be recorded on the LBR.
Quote:
8.8x In Fastpitch, Look Back Rule: R1 leaves 3B legally, R2 leaves 2B legally, B1 walks, F2 returns the ball directly to F1 who is in the circle, R1 & R2 stand still off base as F1 watches B1 round 1B.

Ruling: 8.8.x Dead Ball, R1 is out. Once B1 reaches 1B both R1 & R2 must return or advance. However, only one out may be recorded on this play.

8.8x In Fastpitch, Look Back Rule: B1 hits the ball to F4; B1 is safe at 1B; B1 overruns 1B and circles to the right. The ball is returned to F1 in the 16 foot circle. B1 breaks toward 2B.

Ruling: 8.8.x Dead Ball, B1 is out. When B1 turned right, B1 was committed to returning to 1B.