Thread: block/charge
View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc View Post
What have you got on this one?

YouTube - Block / Charge 5 - FIBA referee education

Who's call, the T, L, or C? I find it odd the L had no whistle, unless he was purposely no calling this play.
FIBA 3-Person Mechanics say this play should be called be the L, however because the play started in the T's area I could see that official making the call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Lead gets the pass and trail gets the crash. This is not a player control foul, just an ordinary charging foul, and the fouled player will get a one and one if in the bonus, or two shots if in the double bonus. If the team is not in the bonus, then the defensive team will get the ball for a throwin.

Now the hard question: Which player got fouled first and will shoot the foul shots, if in the bonus? Can two players be fouled at the same time, kind of a reverse multiple foul?
FIBA rules - No FT on Team or Player control fouls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64 View Post
I'm ok with the explanation the announcer gives but I believe first that neither player gets there in time, especially the player coming from the right on the low angle replay, and secondly the player from the left does not take the contact straight to the torso, he in fact bounces off to the right instead of straight back. I have block

Lastly, I absolutely don't believe the philosophy about plays that start in your primary are your plays all the way to the hoop. We are taught to referee the defense and if a foul is committed by a secondary defender then it doesn't make sense because you aren't reffing the defense you are reffing a dribbler that left your primary.
BT64 - I can understand your arguement for calling a block in this case however I believe Charge in this case is the correct call. Both defensive player establish LGP (2 feet on the floor, facing the offensive player, Blue 10 in this case). Time & Distance is not a factor in this case because the defensive position is taken before Blue 10 leaves the floor (Watch Blue 10's left foot). Therefore in this case we have 2 defensive players that have their LGP and an offensive player who creates illegal contact and Dislodges both defenders.

In response to your statement "does not take the contact straight to the torso" nowhere in the FIBA rules does it say that the offense needs to "get him in the numbers" for a charge to be called.

IMHO Regardless of where the contact occurs the foul should be on the Blue 10 because he is responsible for creating the illegal contact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Is it a FIBA mechanic for the L to stand under the basket like that? Or is it just the camera angle? Looks like the guy is standing right in front of the support during this play.
Rocky - Yes, that is where the FIBA Technical Commision expects that Lead official to take their position. We don't like it either...