Thread: The Game
View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 10, 2009, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

The Game

From the movie trailer thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill S View Post
Have been involved with slow-pitch at a very high level over many decades.
The game has degenerated to something I am almost ashamed of at the upper levels.
Lower levels still have some credibility of sportsmanship and class.
I disagree as it refers to umpiring, at least, as far as ASA is concerned.

Had a discussion with a fellow umpire yesterday involving the childishness of the lower levels of play. He has worked the Men's A, C & D Nationals in SP and 18U in FP. He stated, and I agree, that he could combine all the whining, complaining and general negative comments made to him as an umpire at all of these tournaments and it would not come close to what we hear in a day at our SP state tournaments and I'm talking D & E, period!

Maybe it is the midatlantic area, but there are too many wannabe players. When it comes to competition, they go as low as they can find someone to accept them. But put them in a bar, on a message board or talking to a female, and you would think they are All-World Superstars about to sign a contract for a reality show with ESPN.

Out on the field, TDs are nothing, but thieves making thousands stealing their money and umpires are egotistical maniacs that make calls and allow teams to cheat just to piss off the players.

Yes, there are head cases everywhere, but those at the upper levels at least know the priorities when it comes to playing the game and take care of business on the field instead of trying to find someone to blame for their inadequacies (sp?).