View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
As long as he gained "distance and direction" towards 2B and never came to a complete stop, he's probably OK. If he starts with his free foot, I don't much care what he does with his pivot foot.
This is the direction I was going. Once the free foot goes behind the rubber and his shoulders turn, the possibility of deception is gone. Remember that 8.05 includes a provision to the effect that, if in doubt about a balk, assess whether the move is intended to be deceptive. (Notice that this provision is restricted and not a general criterion of balks.)

Here it is, from the very end of 8.05:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rule 8.05
Rule 8.05 Comment: Umpires should bear in mind that the purpose of the balk rule is to prevent
the pitcher from deliberately deceiving the base runner. If there is doubt in the umpire’s mind, the
“intent” of the pitcher should govern.
So if you judged that, however ugly, the move was accidental and not intended to be deceptive (the falling, the goofy pivot foot stuff), provided it didn't violate any other condition of 8.05 you could rule that it was not a balk.

All that said, I agree further with JM: you were there and we weren't. I'm not arguing that you blew the call, I'm trying to provide resources for dealing with these "ugly" moves in the future.

And, as for dealing with the jaqass coach who wants a balk called: a simple "he stepped to the base, coach," will suffice. If he comes out to discuss it, I'll agree that it was an ugly step.