View Single Post
Old Thu May 28, 2009, 02:02pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
3) The uniform “tuck-in rule” is a pet-peeve of ours and we have been instructed to enforce it at all times on the court and not allow players to enter the court if they are not ready.
My pet peeve is guys that don't know how to administer this rule well. It is easy to get kids to tuck in their shirts and you don't have to embarrass them or make a spectacle about it.

I was working with a co-official a few years ago who had just called a very weak foul on a player, giving him his 4th foul. The coach tried to sub in for his player and my co-official didn't want to let the sub in because his jersey wasn't tucked in!

This is a complete lack of game awareness -- he had no idea it was the kid's 4th foul, it was a terrible call to begin with (foul on a blocked shot), and then wants to compound problems by not allowing the sub in! (I told the kid to tuck his shirt in and come in the game)

It's just been my experience that the guys that are hung up on shirttails, undershirt colors, and other minute details of the rules, generally can't referee.