View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
As fueled by discussion in another thread, add "official gives the ball to the wrong team" to the correctable error list. Although I have never seen this happen at a crucial point in any game, if it did, obviously the consequences could be huge.
I would like to see this added to CE list UNTIL a change of possession (caused by a try or turnover).

Further, I would like to see the CE modified to indicate that IF a team received a direct benefit from an erroneously awards inbounds (i.e. the team scored during that possession), the error of NOT awarding free throws would be ignored since the team already scored two/three points via the inbounds possession.

I would like to see players allowed to step into the lane on release --except for the FT shooter. I have never understood why we feel that there is any more "rough" play on a rebound when the shot is taken from 15' directly in front of the basket when the players are placed in a specific order rather than during ANY OTHER SHOTS on the court.

If we are going to keep three players along the lane, I would like to move the spaces down 18" from their current location (give the schools three or four years of lead time to handle the stripping/repainting of the lines). This would put the defending team slightly closer to the basket, but not as cfar as they are today. This would also allow for the reintroduction of the block in a meaningful position.

I would like to see the backcourt violation provisions modified to indicate that if the defending team makes contact with the ball, the backcourt provision would not apply until the team has gained PLAYER CONTROL with ALL THREE POINTS IN THE FRONTCOURT. In essence, this change would significantly decrease the number of last-touch-first-touch backcourt violations.

Modify the backcourt "exceptions" on throw-ins/jump balls to include all players UNTIL A PLAYER HAS ESTABLISHED PLAYER CONTROL. This modification would allow for an offensive player to catch the ball while in the air from frontcourt to backcourt to have the "exception" even if another offensive player or defensive player tipped the ball (thus, officially ending the throw-in and the exception). The same provisions would apply for the jump ball thus allowing a player to catch a tap by jumping from his/her frontcourt, catching the ball in the air and landing in the backcourt when the ball has either made contact with the floor (thus, ending the jump ball and its exception provisions) or an opponent (thus, ending the jump ball and its exception provisions). These provisions are the way 95% of the coaches THINK the rules are now, thus the change would actually only be a change for officials and 5% of the coaches.

Either allow any color of headband OR ONLY allow the primary color of the uniform (it is not fair that only the cream colored pre-wrap is legal -- make all pre-wrap colors legal or none of them legal UNLESS they match the uniform).

Either allow shooting sleeves -- with color provisions required -- OR completely disallow them. The medical "loophole" is big enough to drive any shooting sleeve through. Either prohibit them completely or simply allow them so long as they are the primary color of the uniform or white (this would allow one color for home/road combined).

Change delaying entry onto court into a violation instead of a technical foul (I like this idea as many others have suggested).

Expand the coaches box to 28'. Don't allow the coaches to complain any more than they do, but if they are coaching, let them stand where they would like.

I agree with Bob Jenkins' proposed change in concept, but would like to lessen the time. If there is less than the time to catch and shoot a shot, the team could pass (i.e. less than .3 seconds).

Last edited by CMHCoachNRef; Tue Mar 03, 2009 at 01:16pm.