View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think you're attempting to solve a problem that is purely philosophical.
I brought these same things up last year and, I think, the year before. It was based on my experience in games, so 3 years of game experience is not "purely philosophical," although I think you meant, "hypothetical." I certainly don't claim to speak for your experience, so don't think that just because you haven't had this happen to you, it doesn't exist. Let me put it this way: due in large part to the increased physical nature of the game (and our reactions or lack thereof to it), I have had serious thoughts of whether I want to continue working basketball. I still love the game, but I hate where its going and from my perspective, if the committee doesn't get control of some of these issues (physical play, foul counts, game time, etc.), we're going to have some real problems down the road. While you may agree or disagree with my interpretation of these issues, but given that, does that sound like I'm presenting a hypothetical?

One thing I didn't mention that would help if the "decline" rule was put in was situations where the team ahead by 3 late would foul the opponent to keep them from hitting a 3 point shot. We've seen this a LOT (or at least, the attempts) over the last 3 years and coaches I've talked to think its essentially a required strategy.