View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 04:12pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canned Heat View Post
Point is Rich, I came looking for advice. I got advice and then I also got what I consider more of a chastising because I was for the flags. I have no qualms whatsoever with anyone questioning my reasons. I cut my teeth in reffing back in my early twenties with a man that was Chief of Police in my city. He was also a highly decorated vet from the Vietnam War. In his last year of officiating, also the year of the 9/11 tragedy, we thought we would honor him to a degree, and our country....something I apparently need to defend to some of the guys who have responded today. I took over that same crew and over a few years have added some great crew members who also happen to be military veterans with one currently being a police officer. We thought it would be a nice touch to add.

I can tell you that back in 2001 when we wore the flag for the remainder of that season, people would comment on how much they thought the flags looked great and how they looked a part of the uniform.

I can tell by your comments alone that many a good official have probably walked away from this forum due to pure attitude. If I didn't have to defend a simple 2"x3" flag to the bitter end like a cornered pit bull, you're right I'd have about 4 total posts. And you having 10 years of seniority on one of probably 20 or more different officiating forums across the country makes you obviously the best official here or anywhere.

I'll stop by now again to look at or address something I may come across. In the meantime, I look forward to seeing you working the big game next February. You're obviously far and away the cream of the crop...at least from WI, anyway.
You asked where a flag should be given. I told you (post 9). You stated they should be mandatory. I find that stupid. Am I not entitled to my opinion the same as you are entitled to yours? I think the US Flag Code is pretty compelling, personally. My personal opinion is that requiring a flag takes away all meaning of the flag -- I'll take that a step further -- requiring that ALL members of the crew (which you have to do if anyone wears the flag) wear one either means that all people really feel strongly over it (which is fine, and I would never tell you that you couldn't wear one), or some are simply wearing it to fit in, which I find a terrible reason to wear one.

My point, later, was this: On Internet boards it's polite to come in and get to know the people who have made this a community, not come in like a bull in a china shop and try to throw weight around. It's much more pleasant around here if you get to know us before calling us names.

And I don't consider myself anything special -- just another official running around the fields of southern Wisconsin Friday nights (and frequently other nights) in the fall with a few of my closest friends.