View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 28, 2008, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
In one of the earlier posts on this subject there was a situation mentioned where the throw back to the pitcher might not have been caught.

In a situation with no runners on base, and a count of 2-x on the batter, the pitcher throws a pitch she felt was a strike, but called a ball by the PU. She reacts by throwing her arms in the air and spinning quickly to face the outfield. As the catcher is in the midst of a return throw to the pitcher, she realizes the pitcher isn't looking at her and attempts to abort the throw, but it comes out of her had and results in a bouncing ball to F5 or F6.

"Technically" does anyone call an additional ball on the batter? I would not in this case.

Men's modified league with many amendments to ASA rules. Catcher in the first inning on the first batter throws the ball to F5 after ball 2 on the batter.

"Technically" you could call another ball on the batter. My path was to call timeout, and inform both coaches that the ball needs to go directly back to the pitcher. So each side essentially has a warning.

Sometimes "technically" can result in problems w/ game management.

Ted

Ted,
League play, early in the year - yeah, maybe. Generally though, somebody else has "warned" them and they choose to ignore. Grab your stick, whip it out and bang 'em - they'll get it then. Warnings do not usually work.

Your pitcher in the girl's game needs to be dealt with, but I agree with you in not calling a ball due to the catcher's bad throw. Especially since you should now be using the catcher to go tell the pitcher to knock off the hysterical garbage.