View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 20, 2008, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
Beyond doodoo. Reading is so fundamental.

No. I am contending that in the act of "placing" the ball "on the floor" there is no force imparted to the ball by the player. Any motion is a consequence of the ball being at rest in the player's hands while they are in motion. At any point along the path to the floor, if the player's hands stop moving, so does the ball.

This is completely different than "pushing" the ball "to the floor" which does impart a force to the ball, setting the ball in motion independently of the player's hands. Thus the ball continues in motion when when the hand stops pushing.

The argument was being made that "placing" or "putting" the ball "on the floor" was the same as "pushing" the ball "to the floor". But it ain't so. Simply placing the ball on the floor does not meet the definition of a dribble.
Lah me. This kind of thinking is the reason that we needed a rule change to tell us that a THROWN ball from behind the 3 point line was worth three points when it entered the basket.

BTW it has already been mentioned, but dropping the ball from waist height and allowing it to fall to the floor due to gravity, doesn't impart a force from the player's hands to the ball either. I guess you don't think that is a dribble.