View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 28, 2008, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloth View Post
You won't find the answer that your looking for. The truth is, by the letter of the federation rule book, if the TD was not scored before the PF occured, you have to bring it back and asses the foul from the spot of the foul.

I had this exact same play this season. The only thing that helped me is that the ball carrier had either just crossed the line for a TD or it happend a second or two after the foul. Either way, it was close enough that I was able to just call it a dead ball PF.

Around here, calling this type of foul a "live ball PF treated as a dead ball PF" is common practice that is accepted by most coaches. Its one of those local interperations that really has no basis in the rule book, yet most officials are more than comfortable with the application.

I had a thread a month or so about the merits of this type of rules enforcement.

Question for the white hats.
Whenever we've had something like this, it's usually be applied as a dead ball foul. I guess if the runner was still at the 30 and the hit was at the 50, it would be hard to call it a dead ball foul but whenever I've seen it, there was no easy way to discern what happened first (score or foul). Two different officials in two very different parts of the field are seeing each part of the play. I believe Redding also gives general guidance to enforce as a dead ball foul in most cases.

Sloth...since you are in Indiana, please send me a PM. I'd like to ask you a few questions