View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
And how would this procedure have helped in the OP's situation? All it would have done is caused a called to the commissioner/supervisor with the following verbiage:

YOUR referee told me we had 1 time-out left. Later in the game when I called that time-out YOUR referee assessed a Technical foul against my team because YOUR referee then said there was a mistake and we really had 0 times-out left.

Me, personally, this is how I handle times-out late in a game.
If there are 2 books at the table I ask them if they both have the same time-out information. If there is a discrepency then we come to a resolution right there and then before the game proceeds.

If there is only 1 book at the table then I ask for the time-out count for each team. I'm also peeking at the book at the same time to confirm what I'm being told is what is actually in the book.

I do not relay the time-out count to coaches.
Also, all the referee did was relay information directly from the scorer. Is the coach going to send someone to examine the book anytime he has a question? Of course not!! They simply ask: How many fouls on #34? How many team fouls? How many timeouts do I have left?
You can't penalize a team for the official scorer's mistake. Give them the timeout they were told they have and move on.