View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

What do you do if the same thing happens while the play is still going on? I had that in a game earlier this year when the home team was up by 3 and the visiting team was driving in the 4th quarter. The defense made a great hit on the quarterback knocking the ball lose and a defensive player picked up the ball running the other way. He returned it about 30 yards and was tackled at the other team's 40 yard line. When I started to follow the run the other way I noticed the head coach was running out near the numbers (excited about his team getting the turnover). I was considering flagging him for that when I was suddenly hit from the side by one of the assistant coaches (I'm near the sideline but not too far on to the field). I'm nearly knocked down but I'm able to catch myself. As I'm getting my flag to throw it, I end up twisting my ankle and fall on the ground. I have now completely missed the end of the play and have no idea where the ball should be spotted (my R got the spot).

The HC was furious. He told me I had just ruined a great play by his team (his team still retained possession so it didn't impact the play that much). He also asked me when I became so important. I let it go because I had already explained why I had thrown the flag. I was just letting him vent. A few minutes later I heard him telling his players to stay back and the coaches to stay away from me because I apparently owned that part of the field. He ended up running out the last 5 minutes of the game (save a few seconds) and scored to give his team a 10 point win. It was his first win as a head coach after losing the first four games.

I should note the sideline had been an issue all night with coaches standing a yard on the field during several plays (they claimed it was because their sideline dropped into a pit and they would sprain their ankles if they stood there). Per request from my R I did not throw any warning flags and just tried to talk to the coaches. I learned my lesson. If they don't listen to polite requests, you need to throw the warning flag because that may be the only way to get their attention.

So after a long explanation, do you sometimes ignore coaches who end up cheering on the field during a big play like that?