View Single Post
Old Thu May 04, 2006, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

I agree that the run does not score. Clearly, R3 did not advance because of the walk (no force). Hence, R3 advanced for "some other reason," which would ordinarily allow the run to count (if only 1 were out, for instance).

But with 2 outs, the issue becomes: when does the inning end? Is the out called for BOO like the batter being out before reaching 1B (no run scores) or more like R1 being picked off (since R1 was, after all, walked, score the run).

I think it's more like BR being out before reaching 1B. Although the batter was walked, he was an improper batter, and we don't penalize the defense for that (or reward the offense). I'm not convinced that the correct batter is "technically" out before reaching 1B, since the rules don't explicitly provide for that.

But the logic seems correct: I would say that the inning ended when the proper batter was called out. There was no intervening play or pitch (or the newly proper batter would be on 1B), and so clearly the proper batter failed to reach 1B, and so the run could not score because the inning was over.