View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 25, 2006, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Assuming there's no delayed backcourt violation (delayed not by rule, but by the officials not realizing it occured in the confusion), the ball became dead immediately upon the foul (not in the act of shooting, since a try means attempting at one's OWN basket), so any basket, if made, would not count. This foul, if called, would count toward the bonus and the fouled player would be awarded bonus free throws if his or her team was in the bonus. Since you said this is "after halftime" (i.e. right after), that's not likely, so we probably go with a spot throw in with the officials telling them which way to go!

Guys, if this happens and you had a backcourt violation (either by over and back or 10 seconds), and you just didn't realize it until after the foul occured, I would strongly suggest you enforce that, which wipes out the foul. Remember, contact is ignored during a dead ball unless intentional or flagrant.

One off-shoot from this: what mechanic (i.e. course of action, not signal) do you use when someone shoots into the wrong basket and scores, with no contact or other violation? I blow the whistle, count the basket, and point in the direction of the team who just shot, giving them an end line running throw in.