Thread: After quarter T
View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 06, 2006, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

The case play cited applies to the hallway during a time where the teams are CLEARLY off the court. The original question said "horn ending first quarter," so the case play isn't (excuse the legal jargon) directly on point.

Whether the ball goes above his head is irrelevent, but I'm going to give a player T and not the coach. The intent of the rule the case play is referencing is that coaches are directly responsible for all bench personnel and that responsibility remains when they are or should be at or near the coach's side. That's a weird way of saying it, but I said it that way for visualization.

The definition of a "player" is one who is "legally on the court..." He is legally on the court at the end of a quarter. Since a "player" committed the infraction described, this falls under 10.3.7.

Now, if he goes back to the bench and does something like this, then the indirect is proper. But don't read too much into a case play and assume it applies in ALL remotely similar situations. I, for one, don't believe the case play referenced is similar, but even granting it is, it doesn't apply.