View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 29, 2000, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Land:
Carl:

At first I misread the the original post. I assumed that a checked-swing appeal was coming and that U1 (if a RHB) said he went.

If that were the case, now B/R does noes not havew the right to go to first. Can he interfere with the attempt to throw out R1?

My guess is he would not be guilty if he is still in the box and does nothing to intentionally interfere. Out of the box, he might be guilty if he actually interferes with the throw.

Mark:

The professional mechanics are quite set in stone now for a call of "Ball! No, he didn't go!" when the count is full. The plate umpire must check at once with the approriate base umpire without waiting for the defense to ask.

When Pete said the batter checked his swing and the umpire did nothing, I assumed that he merely semi-waved the bat without coming even close to offering at the pitch.

Either way, when the plate umpire sings out "Ball Four!", the batter immediately becomes a batter-runner and he may start for first. I would suggest calling an out for interference only if you judged he interfered deliberately.

------------------
Papa C
Editor, eUmpire