View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 18, 2001, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by JJ
Did Patrick ever figure out that in a live ball appeal the base or the runner has to be tagged? The coach can tell his players to do just that - that's how the coach can "do a live ball appeal".

Only with a dead ball appeal (after all play has ended and "time" has been called, or the ball has gone out of play) can a coach - or any defensive player - just ask the umpire directly, "Did he miss that base (those bases, leave too soon, etc...)?".

GBA

I seem to remember you're a rules interpreter in Illinois. Well, I'm proud to announce Officiating.com has concluded an exclusive arrangement with Kyle McNeely, the advisor to the National Federation rules committee. I'm sure you know Kyle.

We'll publish his maiden article next Monday. His first assignment: Bring everyone up-to-date on the new FED appeal rule. His series on that topic will be the next best thing to the FED rules meeting in January. Our members will get a big leg up on the coming season.

A word of caution: I have the first article. The second piece may not appear for several weeks. Mr. McNeely is traveling abroad for his company. The last time he was in Country X, his laptop was confiscated. Consequently, he is traveling the old-fashioned way, with pen and paper.

The articles will continue unabated as soon as Kyle returns. It's always nice to have someone around, like me, who knows the rules. (grin) It's even nicer to have someone, like Kyle, who helped write them.