Thread: Time called?
View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 21, 2001, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert G
I do LL games age 11& 12. A parent asked me before my game a situation that happened the night before.R1 on 1st, B1 steps out as catcher cleans off the dish. PU raises his left hand, does not say time as F1 fires to 1st & R1 is picked off. Coach says he should not be out because PU raised his hand. Pu lets out stand & says he did not call time. What's your call?
Also... runner is advancind to 3rd on a hit, as he slides he does not touch the base & the throw is late. Do I call him safe or do I remain silent?
Thanks Rober G
Question 1: In Make the Right Call, the LL case book, this play appears:
    Play 5-1: Runner on first, home plate umpire, believing all play had ceased, turns his/her back on the pitcher to dust off home plate when: (a) runner steals second with no play being made; (b) pitcher catches runner standing off first talking with first base coach. Base umpire calls runner out.

Ruling: In both (a) and (b), put runner back on first. Although neither umpire technically called “time,” it was implied when the home plate umpire turned his/her back to the ball to dust off home plate. Anytime you clean the plate, call “time.” Then signal and call “play” to make the ball live again. See also Rule 5.11.
Of course, I am told that the very play happened in the LL World Series THIS YEAR, and the umpire crew allowed the out to stand.

Question 2: If the ball and the runner are both at the base, make no signal until everything is over: The runner has stopped sliding, the fielder has stopped trying to tag the runner, etc. The runner, even if he touches the base, is not yet safe: He might overslide and be tagged for an out.

In one of my early years I called "Out!" (because the throw barely beat the stealing runner), "Safe!!" (because the ball popped out of F4's glove), "Out!!!" (because the runner overslid the base and was tagged). The offensive coach (who lose two out of the three calls I made) came rushing out. "Carl," he said, "you're terrific! You got all three calls right. But, uh, is that the way you're supposed to do it?"